View Single Post
Old 10-13-17, 06:01 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SethAZ
So, still haven't gotten the Lynskey R260 yet (I upgraded my order from the R250 two or three weeks ago), but I did see their internal parts order for it, and I can confirm that instead of shipping their Pro Carbon #5 fork they're building it with their Lynskey Pro GR fork, which will support tires up to 45mm. While this fork does weigh about 100 grams more than the #5, I have to say I'm pretty stoked about this. With the R260 officially supporting 32mm tires in its wider chainstays, this means I won't be fettered at all to the narrower tire options that have dominated the racing-style bike scene for so long. They are also shipping it with Kenda Tendril 28mm tires that will probably be ridden exactly once, just so I have a basis for comparison when I swap in the Compass Stampede Pass 32mm tires (the Extralight version) that are sitting on my kitchen table right now, just waiting for their new host bike to show up.

My current bike, a Trek 2300 from 2003, is more limited in what it will support. I recently had a 28mm Conti GP4K on both front and rear (inflates to around 30.5mm on my current rims). They felt really great compared to the 25mm I've been running most of the time I've owned this bike. Thing is, the fit was so tight in the front that I would get some rubbing on the fork, so I had to downgrade back down to the 25mm up front. I'm really anxious to see what Jan Heine has been on about for all these years with his wider tires at lower pressures. Honestly though, I saw such a huge jump in comfort and smoother riding going from 23mm to 25mm, and then to 28mm on the rear, that I already am convinced that these 32mm ought to be the shiznit dripping from the bee's knees to the sound of the cat's meow.
Curious how you saw the internal parts order(?) I ordered a complete R260 disc on 10/4. Received a message a couple of days ago that status has changed from "in production" to "awaiting fulfillment". Not sure if that is good or bad. Asked Lynskey by email and was told there is no difference.

I am riding my current trek with 28c on the front and 25 on the back. 28 fit great on the front so I bought another for the back and it rubs when standing on hills just enough to be annoying so I switched back to 25 on the back. Dual 28s felt smooth as silk on the flats so I ordered the Lynskey with the 28 kendas.