Old 12-24-18, 11:52 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I started the Human Power Challenge races in Portland, Oregon in 1999 and they were held every year through 2015. Ultimately they were discontinued due to lack of interest and participants- our last year we required more people to run the event than we had participants.

I think you underestimate the challenges in organizing and operating an event of this sort and especially one of the magnitude of the WHPSC.
My shop chair seat is still upholstered with the tee shirt I got at the 1990 Portland IHPSC, where I was initially disqualified from the Practical Vehicle event for having a car-like turning circle, and then allowed to run but lose. The steering was no problem at all on your bike routes, but there was a lot of local enthusiasm for sidewalk tricks.
However, I am NOT asking volunteers to run another HPSC, I am suggesting that people make record attempts near to wherever they are, and then pay for certification if they expect to want it. The ads could then show the unmodified velomobile being used for shopping, traversing bad roads, being locked, shedding rain, and other features.