Old 04-24-19, 02:15 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Team Fab
Likely wont be able to stop if a Wombat or a turtle runs out. Or Swerve for that matter.

Also likely that a rim brake could not get to the point of locking up the wheels therefore the brakes are not as strong as they could be. Stronger brakes would therefore be safer.

Going down long steep hills is a safety issue as well, so if a rim brake cant take it you just won my argument.

That being said would you go back to drum brakes on your car**********? Not likely. The future is disk brakes, for now may as well accept it
At the price point of the bikes I buy there is ZERO functional difference between discs and anything else. There are disc brakes on two of our three (active) tandems. The third has v-brakes. There are dual pivot sidepulls on my new road racer. V-brakes on anything else. Can you not see the shades of gray? I am not anti-disc just not fearful that discs are the only kind of brake that works! Before discs were invented people used (and lived) with other brake technologies. That seems to be forgotten. I am not saying for a minute that that quad couldn't make good use of some mechanical or even hydraulic discs, I am making an observation that many new customers shopping for commuter bikes or hybrids wring their hands in pain when their favorite brand does not offer hydraulic discs as an option. I also expect you to know better than to think that locking the wheels of a single track vehicle is a good thing. Locking of wheels is such a bad thing in fact that a lot of R&D has gone into the creation of anti-lock brakes for motorcycles and one day bicycles. Our last tandem in fact came equipped with a device that prevented the locking of the brakes (since removed!) because bike makers don't trust riders enough to be able to modulate brakes in panic situations but do not yet have a high tech solution. So, no, I don't agree that just because the brakes on that quad cannot lock the wheels that it isn't as safe as a bike that can. That's all I've got. You can have the last word if you really need to have it.