Thread: Road cyclists
View Single Post
Old 06-12-19, 11:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Hr1
I know enough to know what I prefer to ride and thats obviously a light, fast bicycle w/ superior handling and acceleration and thats a Road Bike. As I've said if someone wants to put themselves through pushing a vehicle thats often 2x+ as heavy w/ wider tires that are MUCH harder to push down the street then be my guest. The laws of gravity and physics cannot be denied when evaluating this issue. Just like the jarring effects on the human body of hitting bumps and potholes on a rigid framed 17.5 lb bicycle w/ no suspension. < That also cannot be denied as major factor when deciding what someone chooses to ride.
I've ridden 25mm tires on the street and tires as wide as 1.95 inches--you're way overestimating the difference in effort needed to "push" them down the street. Tread's a much bigger factor than width in that regard.

Try road riding a slick wide tire on a bike sometime--you'll be very surprised. Because you can actually go very fast without feeling much of the vibration, it feels very much like flying.