Old 06-13-19, 12:55 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Though it's not the specific product you asked for, Clif ShotBlocks are nearly 100% Glucose. In an effort to help with your "fuel" needs, might I suggest a potentially viable substitute:

Plain ol' clover honey is also glucose, but also importantly is fructose. The reason this is important is eachone is taken into the body by a different uptake channel. Where you are biologically limited to 60 grams of per hour by one channel alone, with honey you can uptake 90 grams.

The results are nearly instant as far as these things go (my experience) since your body doesn't have a 45 minute delay to break whatever sugar you just ate into useable fructose & glucose. All sugars eventually get converted to glucose.

Honey is much cheaper & more effective for fuel needs than high margin commercial products marketed to cyclists.

I use almost exclusivly honey 3 oz dissolved into a 16oz bottle, 4 oz into a 24 oz bottle, or 6oz into a 32oz bottle...and of course the proper portion NUUN tab for each...On occassion I mix in Gatorade powder for flavor, but that's just me.

FWIW: I also like Gu, et al. because it can easliy be transported, has durable packaging, and is handy as an "emergency" kind of way. I think if you are seeing the same price everywhere you look, you may be up against arbitrary price controls set by the manufacturer. Hence my above suggestion.

Good luck on you quest!
While it is true you can utilize parallel pathways to take up to 90g sugars, honey being ~50:50 glucose:fructose would not be a great choice alone. If you take 90g of honey/hour then you will only get ~45g of glucose when max absorption of the faster pathway is ~60g, and if you were to try to maximize that(120g) then you'll exceed your fructose absorption capabilities and risk gastric distress. Also plain table sugar(sucrose which is 50:50 g:f) is way cheaper than honey and also easy to carry if you wanted