Old 12-07-19, 06:03 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
How do you like those Mavic Cosmic wheels? I'm kinda tempted. Probably for another bike, not my Ironman. I'm building up a Diamondback Podium carbon frame from odds and ends in the parts bins, but don't have a wheelset yet.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how good an older set of Bontrager Race Lite Aero wheels have been as all-around wheels. I snagged 'em off an older Trek TT/tri bike with a cracked frame but everything else was good. All alloy, not lightweight, but reasonable rim depth (I'm not getting blown off the road even in 20+ mph crosswinds), 16 flat aero spokes per wheel, decent DT Swiss hubs. I planned to save 'em for special occasions but they've become my all-around wheels on an early '90s Trek 5900. Some of our roads are so rough I usually need to true my Araya and Wolber wheels every couple of weeks to fix minor wobbles. But the Bontrager sorta-aero wheels have been stiff and steady, although not as comfy as the older Ironman era wheels for everyday riding.
I have had a set of those wheels for several years and put a couple thousand miles on them with no problems. They had been raced on before I got them. I rode Ragbrai on them this summer. I have been warned that they will crack at some point.