View Single Post
Old 01-22-12, 04:06 PM
Novakane 

Bikes: Sekine RM40 1980, Miyata 1000LT 1990, Raleigh Mixte Sprite 1980, Raleigh Grand Prix 1979

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by trevor_ash
$1 winter glove liners.

Go to your local drug store (Osco is where I found mine) and ask them where they keep the winter hats and gloves. Next to them I found some thin synthetic gloves that cost exactly $1. They're the kind that looks super small and stretch to twice their size when you put them on. They're very thin which is good. These $1 gloves inside of another cheap $12 set of gloves from Walmart have my hands toasty warm down to 28 degrees F for one hour.
+1 for these inexpense thin gloves. I do exactly the same thing for being outside on the cold days.

I've found you can also double them up and stay fairly warm.
I was riding yesterday in -10C with a pair of those on and a slightly oversized pair of of open-tip cycling gloves over them. I think full-finger cycling gloves (slightly oversized) and a pair of the thin gloves would have been better, since the tips of my fingers did get a little cold - but not to the point of pain or numbing.
They're easier to find (around here at least) in the Fall season, most big-box retail and dollar stores have plenty until the temperature starts dipping a bit.