TMB
Permanent Refugee .......

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadiejorge
I think that for most people factory bikes are fine considering all of the fine tuning you can do with stem length/angles and other areas you can adjust, though there are always exceptions. I suppose one could make the analogy between a custom frame and a tailored suit but if I can get one off the rack and make it fit just as well then I'd rather save the money.
The ongoing myth of custom frames.

They do not cost more than a huge number of the retail frames available, and in many cases can be significantly cheaper.

You can get custom frame and fork from many very well respected builders for less than $2,000. Some much less than that.

Many of the retail frames that seem to be very popular are much more than that.

Custom isn't about fitting "strange" proportions. It is about getting what you want in a bicycle. Exactly what you want, it is a reward for hard work. It is a reward for saving and for dreaming.

It is a reward for investing the time to think and plan it.

I fit just fine on pretty much any stock frame with a 56 or 57 top tube.

That isn't the point. I designed the bike, I designed for the riding i do and want to do and thought about what features a bike should accommodate that. I found a builder I like and respect and worked through what I want, he built it and I could not be happier.

It is like no other bike. It has the features I want in a design package I want and cannot get by buying a retail frame.

It's the same reason people buy tailored suits or shirts or custom furniture.

They want something specific that is not available otherwise.

I can buy retail and compromise what I want in the product I spending my money on, or I can spend less, and get exactly what I want.

Many people will never understand it.

Many people will.

Everyone is free to make their own choices, just make the for the right reasons.