View Single Post
Old 04-13-15, 08:03 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KenshiBiker
I stopped and asked for directions when I climbed Mt Tam last year. The written directions I had were a bit vague in one section, and the path not really well marked, so I asked someone for directions. Unfortunately, either I messed up, or he left out a turn, because I got all kinds of lost. Fortunately I had my phone so I was able to use the GPS to figure out where I was and where I needed to be. I figured I did several hundred feet of "extra" climbing, but since climbing was the point of the whole ride, it wasn't the end of the world.
And here I thought my wife would be proud of me for asking for directions. The first things she said was, "why didn't you use the GPS on your phone?"

Originally Posted by RR3
I stopped a few times to ask directions over the years.

My favorite was stopping at a bar in a little town in France while cycle touring and my chain had broken earlier on the road and my mending attempts were not quite working ... Those French are a Paradox.

I used to get lost all the time when my case of Lymes disease was at its worst but my bike was hung up then, I'd get lost in the car.
Love the story!

Originally Posted by Sculptor7
I think getting lost is half the fun of cycling. When I have taken longer trips into places I have never been occasionally I have had to ask for directions. People are generally pretty nice. Can't ever remember anyone being unpleasant. Not having a GPS on my bike means I either just go on till something becomes familiar. Usually on a longer ride I preplan with Map My Ride and print out a little reference map at home. Its a fact that cycling has taught me the names of many streets even in my own neighborhood. For many years I sailed a small boat in the bay here and my wife always said I knew all the islands but did not know the names of the streets two blocks away!
I've been riding many of our local roads for years and I still don't know them by name. "The road by the lilac farm", or the "past the firehall", or ... "just follow me".