View Single Post
Old 03-05-21, 06:53 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Here's a handy rule on when to use bring and take when it involves movement of an object. When the movement of the object is away from you, take is used. When the movement is toward you, bring is used. I am at my house. CXWrench, bring your bike over to my house, and we'll adjust the derailleur. CXWrench, I am a horrible mechanic, so I'd recommend you take your bike the shop for repair.

When I moved into the NOLA area I realized how pervasive the misuse was. As I have tried to help people, some grasped it better this way. Point to where the object will go. If you are pointing away from where you are, use take.

There are some exceptions, but none that would ever make the above wrong.

Bring here. Take away.

https://www.lexico.com/grammar/bring-or-take

I’ll bet people really appreciate your impromptu grammar lessons. (If you actually teach English grammar for a living, I will remove the snarkiness from that comment.)

For every website showing that your interpretation is correct, I’ll bet I can find one showing that my interpretation is correct. Maybe two. Which is probably why, in common usage, “bring“ and “take“ are usually used interchangeably without any objections. Usually.

Last edited by Koyote; 03-05-21 at 07:30 AM.