Old 08-28-10, 12:10 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nesssa
How do all you car free people deal with the outside pressures from people? I don't wanna give in...feel really good about the decision and am really happy with it....but I hate having to explain to people. I just don't want to live in a box and live my life a certain way just because everyone says I should.
Outside pressures are a personal choice. You either choose to feel and respond to them or you don't. I choose "Don't".

There is always curiosity. Remember that curiosity does not equal pressure. There is no need to respond to pressure, but it is polite to respond to curiosity.

Like you, I had no single reason to go car-free. Several smaller ones added together made sense. That's all I say to others. If pressed, I stick to broad strokes--environment, health and fitness, lifestyle, money saving...

If they continue, I just turn it around and ask why they made their transportation choices.

For the genuinely curious--those who seem fascinated rather than judgmental--I'll answer the "How do you..." questions, but again, keeping to broad strokes. Grocery panniers for shopping, pedal harder in the cold, and so on. For others I just quote the old Nike commercials, "I just to do it".

EDIT: Not sure how I left this one out--joy. It's just plain fun. Then I ask, "When was the last time you had fun going to the grocery store?" Shuts them up PDQ.

Last edited by tsl; 08-28-10 at 12:15 PM.