View Single Post
Old 01-09-14, 01:36 PM
Icecyclist.com

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Tri-flow is one of the poorest lubes I have used here... it is ill suited for a dry and dusty environment in the warmer months and have been using homebrewed lube which has a base of synthetic oil and WD40 or mineral spirits as the solvent / carrier.

It makes for a much cleaner running chain than Tri-flow and does not act as a dust / dirt magnet.

I don't know too many people who ride at 60 below... I have come close and not had any chain issues.

Pic from today... we have been getting some pretty balmy weather and have been warmer than many places in the southeast and central U.S.

Thank you for the tip. The upside of WD40 is that it is less expensive than Triflow. The downside is that its lowest operating temperature is -10 degrees Fahrenheit. About a dozen times a year I complete 30 mile rides in temperatures between 5 to 10 degrees Fahrenheit. So, WD40 with a synthetic oil additive will not work for me as its operating temperature lower limit is too close to the temperatures I ride in.

In temperatures above freezing I use Maxima Chainwax as it keeps my chain nice and lubed for my longer 150 mile road rides. I hate having a squeaky chain after mile 100 with other bicycle lubes.

Last edited by Icecyclist.com; 01-09-14 at 01:43 PM.