Old 08-28-15, 08:07 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by vik
Agreed. Not only that, but all the whiz bang flavour of the day stuff doesn't make your tour better.

One can tour just fine on all sorts of stuff; I'm not tech-obsessed enough to pay huge premium to be an early adopter. OTOH much of the "whiz bang" stuff is basically proven technology. I doubt German companies would spend a fortune developing stuff like Pinion w/o making absolutely sure it would work well. Belt drive is used widely in motos & cars. I'd think that belt-drive would be esp ideal for touring--one can happily ride thru mud, sand, rain, salted roads etc w/o worrying about cleaning a gritty slow chain. Spare belt is pretty light to carry as insurance. Last winter I went for 5-mile bike ride on slushy salted streets, the salt removed all the lube.

Northern Europeans seem to be rather keen on IGH/belt, perhaps in part due to that it's not uncommon for that area to get snow in spring or fall. Derailleur wheels get gunky & slow too. Derailleurs are fairly easy to damage & now the designs can make it difficult to accurately lube all the pivot points. Seems logical that IGH/belt will be the future of mass-market bikes; casual riders don't have the skill/time/desire to fuss with dirty drive-train maintenance.