View Single Post
Old 08-30-15, 04:42 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD
It is just a basic fact that they were not designed for touring, lack of 36 spokes is part of that, but gear either is or isn't designed for touring, if your head is in MTBs things come out differently. The flanges have failed on tour. Thorn has recommended ratios that are out of the legal range. All indicative of the second thought mentality going into it.
Almost all of the drive train components commonly used for touring were designed for other uses, so I would not say that is a problem with Rohloffs. Of everything on my Rohloff bike or my derailleur touring bikes, I can't think of one drive train component that was specifically designed for touring - although I suppose you could argue that bar end shifters were mostly used for touring decades ago before the time trial and triathalon competitors started using them.

My Rohloff is 36 spokes, bought it about two and a half years ago. Did they stop making 36 hole hubs?

When I chose my chainring sizes, for hill climbing I chose 36/16 as a ratio based on a speed of 3.5 mph and a cadence of 72, that ratio is within their approved range. The slowest cadence that I like to maintain is 72 and I felt that 3.5 mph was the slowest that I could pedal a loaded bike and retain my balance. According to this page, I could go down to a ratio of 30/16 and still be in their approved range because I weigh about 80 kg.
Sprocket ratios: www.rohloff.de

Are you saying Thorn recommends a lower ratio than 30/16 (or since they usually recommend a 17T cog, a ratio of 32/17)? Or did they suggest that someone over 100 kg use a ratio below the approved ratio for heavier riders?