View Single Post
Old 05-02-17, 10:27 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I run 700x45, 700x36 and 700x30 depending on the bike and condition of the gravel.

700x30 is light and fast rolling on pavement, while providing a large enough volume for firm gravel.

700x36 fits most Cyclocross bikes and has enough volume for all but the softest gravel roads.

700x45 is capable on very soft round gravel, but is slowest on pavement.

Most gravel rides are a mixture of pavement and gravel and most gravel is reasonably firm. A big tire is not always the best tire, depending on the type of gravel and if pavement is a factor.

The only all-around tire I've used that was fast on pavement and stable on a wide range of dry gravel was a 700x37 Vittoria Hyper (slick). This tire is light enough and rolls easily for fast pavement rides and has enough volume for soft gravel. See: http://www.bicyclerollingresistance....ger-hyper-2016
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 05-02-17 at 11:27 AM.