View Single Post
Old 07-19-18, 12:49 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
A friend of mine developed this card game based on sustainability and living small. Goal is to focus on one area and collect cards in that topic so that when the game ends, you have most cards of the same topic, like Transportation. LCF would be a very coveted and low-value card -- low score wins -- where sharing a car within a household, high-mileage car would be in the middle, and a commute of 50+ miles or an SUV would be near the top of the high value cards.

We were play-testing this and I'm always one for taking advantage of the rules, so instead of focusing on getting all the low cards in one category, I concentrated on the low-value cards across categories. When it came time to count points, my friend was, "Well, yeah, you had a low score, but you strayed across categories to do it, instead of focusing on one category like you're supposed to." So I created a narrative where: I'm spinning my own yarn for woolen products, keeping bees for honey production, and have a high-mileage car, but using a lawn service for yard upkeep -- one doesn't have time to do all the things that might add up to a fully enviro-friendly lifestyle and I hate mowing the lawn, so I use savings I make in other parts of my life to deal with the one thing I don't make time to do and would rather not do myself, anyway: landscaping. All agreed that in spite of straying out of category, it made for a convincing narrative.

Grocery delivery is like that -- maybe you have more going on. And if it contributes to being LCF, it can certainly be justified, if grocery shopping is one of those limiting factors which might indicate a car as necessary or at least very convenient to your lifestyle.

Far as I know, we don't have delivery, but we do have call-in service. So it might involve hiring a cab, ride-share service, or some other kind of pick-up/delivery scheme to get it home. In major urban areas close by, there is grocery delivery, so I imagine it's only a matter of time until they expand into the hinterlands...