View Single Post
Old 07-20-18, 12:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
I think it's pretty sad when people want their groceries delivered and can't go do it themselves.
Can't believe I spending No. 18,000 in the LCF forum but...

Generally agree, except in the case of people with mobility problems. My mom had limited walking ability before she entered a nursing home and would sometimes have groceries delivered.

I am the sort of person who almost always shops for the night's dinner and next morning's breakfast every day. I have a Whole Foods right on my way home from the office that I ride or walk to. I can also access other sources of fresh ingredients either after work or even during lunch. While I may have some general ideas floating around in my head, unless I am planning a special meal I usually do not know what I will have for dinner until I actually set foot in the store. For example, two days ago I had to do a bike-train-bike commute to an office in another state. When I got off the train on my return commute, I popped into what is basically a huge indoor farm market that's on my route home. Walked by one of the two fish mongers in the place and saw it had swordfish on sale. Picked up a fresh swordfish steak, shallots, capers, a lemon and some jicama slaw from a Mexican foods joint and whipped up a nice little meal.

My local Whole Foods is crazy busy with people filling orders for delivery. You can now get 2 hr. delivery for extra $$. If I am physically able to shop for myself but become too lazy or indifferent to do so, something has gone seriously wrong in my life.