Old 08-31-18, 11:20 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by brushspin
Alright kids. I've decided I'll be getting a Surly. Now I'm choosing between the Straggler and Disc Trucker.
After speaking to someone that brought in a LHT into the shop they both strongly advised I get something more lively because I'll be using it as a daily commuter 95% of the time.
That was my thought as well. I had a (non-disc) Trucker for several years. I liked it a lot, but I did feel like it was a bit sluggish when unloaded. I mean it was a bit sluggish all the time, but you expect that when all your gear is on it. You don't expect it when all you're carrying is lunch. I eventually swapped to a Troll for a number of reasons, one being that I wanted to feel like I could do some off-road touring if I wanted to. I was also determined (if not always successfully) to pare down my gear so that I was not carrying four full panniers of gear (plus extra rack-top stuff) when I was touring. If I were dedicated to staying on the road, and looking for a bike that was primarily road commuting, and secondarily road touring, I'd be looking at a Straggler for sure.