Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
They started the industry trend. I'll give them that. Hats off to Surly. But they are no longer a trend setter.

But in the big picture of fat bike sales they (Surly bikes not QBP) are irrelevant. There is a only a small dedicated group of people that buy them. Like I said...I haven't seen one on the trails in over 2 years of traveling the different trail systems of WI and Upper Michigan. Nobody rides them because there are better lighter bikes out there.
I was referring to your comment questioning how they stay in business. And the reason they stay in business is because they are consistently innovative and trend-setting. The 4" Fat bike is not the only thing they started:
  • They introduced the 4" fat bike as we now know it...
  • Then they introduced the 5" fat bike as we know it...
  • Then they introduced the plus-sized mtb as we know it...
  • While they did not invent the long-tail cargo bike, the Big Dummy (along with the Kona Ute to a lesser extent) is the reason cargo bikes became a "thing" in the past 10 years.
  • While they did not invent the 29er, the Karate Monkey was the first one to show you could have one with a short chain-stay, and I would say is as responsible as Gary Fisher or Niner for the wheel-size actually gaining traction (no pun intended). The affordable and versatile KM was many people's gateway drug into 29ers back in the mid 2000's.
  • The Long Haul Trucker is STILL a staple among touring cyclists.

And one thing they still do is outfit their frames with a ton of extra braze-ons and accommodation for different gearing and hub options. So they have a strong appeal among who likes to tinker and change up bike setups. Heck, my Karate Monkey has existed as single speed, 1x9, rigid, HT, trail bike, and on/off road adventure/light touring bike. Maybe nobody in Michigan cares about any of this, but apparently people in other parts of the country do.

As far as how many you see.... I have seen Surlys off all types everywhere I have lived. Sure they are a minority, but they are also a small company. And I still see some (including fat bikes) even now on the trails and on the road/street where I live now in upstate NY.

BTW, the Wednesday has been a very successful fat bike for Surly. I guess just not up in MI.

Yes, Surlys will never be a hit with the weight-obsessed. Somehow, that has never really hurt them. They know their market.