Old 01-04-19, 04:00 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsmith246
Hi all,

Two years ago I did a route of 40-60mi a day over 11 days on my then-new touring bike, and ended up with some serious perineum pain during and after (12 months after!) the route. The pain in that area would start within the first hour of each ride, but I was stupid and thought it was a matter of getting used to it.

I've been much, much better over the past year or so -- pretty much "cured", but not quite. My urologist says it's OK to go back to cycling, but I should stop if the pain comes back. I've been cycling 3 miles every day and it's not been a problem. I'm hoping that at this rate I'll be totally recovered in the next few years.

Now I want to prepare for a 5-week cycle tour, hoping to do again 40-60mi a day. And I've spent a lot of time and money making sure the pain won't come back. But I'm still getting some pain in that area, although it's nowhere as bad as it was.

I recently had my bike professionally fitted, which included having the saddle replaced as per the gebioMized pressure mapping. That made a huge difference. The peak pressure went from 0.9 bar to 0.5 bar, and is now better distributed; this was the best saddle out of the 10 or so I tried.

But I still got some minor pain during and after ~30mi routes, so following the bike fitter's advice, I bought a pair of Endura FS-269 Pro SL bib shorts. Based on the extensive research I did, these seem to be the very best at avoiding this type of injuries. I rode 30mi with them, but frankly, I'm not sure they make a huge difference compared to my cheapest cycling shorts.

So, what else can I try? Before getting a "proper" touring bike, I was doing similar routes on a much cheaper, badly fitted, old, hybrid bike and never felt any pain. Too bad it can only accommodate a rear pannier!

I'm considering getting a second pressure mapping from Cyclefit, who seem to be the best in the UK -- They'll probably have an even larger selection of saddles I could try. Or maybe go to a cycling physio.

I'd really appreciate any advice you could give me!

Cheers.
I'm not a doc and certainly not an expert in perineal issues, though I have had perineal pain. Did the doctor identify what your risks are if you just kinda go for it?

Oh yeah, zombie thread twice over now!

Last edited by Road Fan; 01-04-19 at 04:07 AM.