Old 06-28-10, 08:03 PM
Raiden

Bikes: A little of everything

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't say motorist intimidation causes much scofflaw riding (though it may be the case in some of the tougher cities), but I would say that fear of motorist carelessness or ignorance is certainly one of my reasons for scofflaw maneuvers. For instance, I've said before that my technique for crossing intersections, especially larger or complicated ones, involves rolling all the way up into the crosswalk, so I'm diagonally in front of the first car instead of directly beside it, to avoid right hooks. Obviously, crossing the first line of a crosswalk isn't legal for a vehicle.

The logic for that can be stretched out to rationalizing running a stopsign/light, depending on the specific circumstances of a given intersection. Not legal, just rationalized out of an assessment of risk.

I also try not to unclip/put a foot down when I slow/stop (clipping back in is a chance to fumble, though tiny), which likely makes most of my stops not technically stops. That's probably not what we're talking about here, though.

Edit: Was that line in the OP about stop signs there before? Meh.

Last edited by Raiden; 06-29-10 at 12:52 PM.