Old 01-17-19, 03:16 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Brett A
Nope. You're opinion isn't accurate. As I wrote in my earlier post, the solar panel produced enough electricity for the battery pack to charge my phone 2.5 to 3x a day, so I could afford to use it. My phone was my only source of navigation for the first month-long, and a primary navigation tool on the second. Plus it was my only camera, mp3 player, internet access, etc. It's math and science. Someone could work out the numbers if they wanted to. All the specs are available. Which is actually a good way to go about it. Work backwards from how much electricity you think you'll need per day and buy equipment that will produce that much.

But I had good luck with weather. The thing about solar, of course, is that you don't get much power when it's cloudy, so it's unreliable in that manner.
I have a similar solar panel, and it's been pretty reliable, weather permitting, in terms of keeping me charged. I also had a dynamo solution that is now non-functional. I want to replace it, but if memory serves, I got more juice out of the solar panel under optimal conditions, but the dynamo would work regardless of weather. But then if there's no sun, that's often a time when you want to use your headlight, so the dynamo is otherwise occupied, so solar has been a good way to go.