Old 05-14-19, 04:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1431 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Eddie_E
I live in an area where some roads have no shoulders and blind curves. Cars come flying around those curves sometime just inches away. I am always scared to death on those roads but I don't have many safer options near me. So I more often throw my bike in the back of my truck and take it somewhere safer, like bike trails and the shore boardwalks near me. I guess since you do not have a vehicle that option is not open to you, but I fully understand your concern from my experience.
I rent cars now and then to get up to the 30-mile Rail-Trail across our lake (about 40 minutes one way). However, I would prefer the skates or longboard on that Rail-Trail mainly because I just prefer skating over cycling. Skating is not always practical in the city but it is my preference. So YES...I could drag a bike up there but I likely never will.

Originally Posted by mjac
There are a tremendous amount of [bicycle] riding venues even in the City of New Orleans that are great experiences and very safe.
Yep, as stated above - I just prefer skating those places.

My bike is like your car (assuming you own one). I doubt most people think up cool places to go drive their cars for fun (sure, some do). My bike is a tool in my mind, not recreation. Just personal preference. Now I can do more of what I love and less of what I don't love!