Old 06-15-19, 11:16 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by djende
I have always owned flat bars my entire life but recently have been in the market for my first bike with drop handlebars. I was pretty certain that with the ability to have so many different hand positions that the drop handlebar would help me alleviate much of the tingling I would get in my finger tips after stints of intense riding. That was until yesterday when I walked into a highly praised bike store in my area and spoke with the owner there. He informed me that he's had many customers with such a problem and the solution is never drop handlebars it is in fact flat bars with ergonomic grips. I told him, I already have those. He then said then we need to bring the bars up and closer. I told him that I already have an adjustable stem to bring the bars up and closer to me. He then talked about replacing the adjustable stem with a stem riser/extender tube and a solid stem to bring them up even higher and keep them close with a more secure stem. That the adjustable ones will break over time and for that reason are dangerous.

So is he right? Are these the better solutions for hand problems, or are drop handle bars better for that?
I think you should try some bars with sweep - that sweep back to you. If they need to be closer - then bars with rise and sweep. And ergo grips can help too!

Check out Rivendell's handlebar advice, you might find some winner on their list (and Velo Orange makes a bunch of similar ones to theirs if you want to save money for the test.)