Thread: 65-85+ Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-11-08, 11:00 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I was thinking a bit about the differences between the 65+ generation and the Boomers!

I think the Vietnam War, and all associated with that era affected us quite differently, and did make some differences in how we see or how we are or SOMETHING!!

I was in the Air Force at the very beginning of our sending "advisors" to Vietnam. I got out in August of 1965, and some of the troops in our squadron had or were being sent to Vietnam.

But, in our eyes, at that time, the government was pretty much always right (except for the cockroaches in the dining hall).

Okay, now that I have opened that can of worms - any reactions?

When Vietnam started up- I was in the Royal Marines. They were stationed in Aden and Malaya + all the other small outposts that it was felt that a British presence was required. Felt lucky in that I was in a protected occupation (Boxing Team) but still got sent to Malaya in 65. We kept wondering when the "New" posting was coming up as it was felt that more Marines than required were in Malaya- but it would be good acclimatisation for that "New" posting. Luckily it never came up for us.

Spike Milligan