Old 03-05-05, 10:45 PM
Black Bud
One Tough Cookie.

Bikes: Too many and not ENOUGH!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trailers are probably best used as a large load, heavy-duty, urban cargo hauler.

If you are touring, they are not always necessary, especially if you are doing credit-card touring (and NOT transporting the family pet anywhere! ). Unless you are taking your children with you (that's a good idea?? ). Or relocating!

For most purposes, panniers are more than adequate to do the job!

You shouldn't cut back (much) on medical supplies if you are "way out" of civilized areas (though you won't need so much in the way of clean clothing since you won't get close enough to anyone else most of the time!
Make sure you have enough repair supplies--at least until you get to a bike shop!

Or, in a pinch in Podunk, USA, a Wal-Mart!!

I find that keeping the weight on, or, behind, the bike is easier to handle than carrying it on ME!

As for making those tight turns (and curb hops--which I can't do in any case! ), one should not do those with a loaded bike anyway--the added load makes it just too risky! You just have to think ahead and avoid trouble whenever you possibly can.

My discussion board, another resource for the "utility" and commuter cyclist: "Two Wheeled Commuter: The Everyday Cyclist"