NH Girl

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc and a 2004 Trek 4500 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Athena on the Block

Hi Everyone

Ok, I've been lurking this past week and doing lots of reading so I figured it was about time that I said Hello

I found this site by accident and so happy that I did! I always knew there were Clydesdales out there as I see that mention on many sites that I have visited but this is the first site that I have found Athenas! I never heard that term until I found BF. Yay!

I can officially say that I qualify to participate in this forum. Wow, for once being overweight has it's advantage..

I have always had the passion for riding. From my first banana seat bike to my Schwinn 10 speed I truly loved it as a kid and teen. In my adult years I always wanted to get back on a bike but life gets busy and you just keep talking about it but never do it. I bought several bikes throughout my early adult years and had my moments of getting out there but that would last for a couple of months and stop. Mostly did trails, fire roads and sometimes pretended to be a real MTBiker and hit a hard single track and laugh that I did it.

As the years passed, I quickly discovered fatness and that put a hold on my cycling not because I couldn't do it but more because of embarassment about being the fat girl on the bike. I went out riding a few times as an 'Athena' and had some bad experiences with people shouting not so nice things towards me and that quickly made me stop.

I would then just spend my time admiring those who I passed on the road as I drove by in my car. My head would turn everytime I saw a car loaded up with mountain bikes and heading to the trails. I so wanted to be that type of person. I love speed, adventure and outdoors but I allowed my weight to stop me from enjoying it.

Well not anymore. I have recently moved to New Hampshire and I am surrounded by some incredible bike trails. I have purchased a used bike off of craigslist and have also bought my daughter's boyfriend bike. So no excuses not to ride as I have two bikes. I was hoping to get hubby out riding with me but I truly doubt that will happen but in the meantime I am going to ride.

I'll be honest with you and have spent about 3 months talking myself out of it. Everytime I wanted to go out riding I found some kind of excuse for fears of past experiences. I finally decided to get my arse on that bike and hit the trails. So on July 13th I hopped on my bike and proceeded to head out of my driveway and told myself just go around the block....well before I knew it I found myself in the woods and 4 miles from home. I decided to turn around and head home because I wanted to make sure that I could get back home. LOL So 8 miles my first day out on my bike and I have done that each day last week, except for the weekend as I used that as my rest days. I was back out there today so I am rather pleased with myself.

I want to bike mostly because I love to ride and want to learn to ride but also to get fit and healthy. If I lose weight along the way that is a bonus. Back in 2005/2006 I loss 100 pounds and was at the perfect weight for me, I was feeling great but then ended up with a few medical problems and had some stressful times that I quickly put my weight back on. Since gaining the weight back I once again was afraid, embarassed to do anything being the fat girl. I have wasted so much of my life because of that thinking and now I am going to change that.

I'm 43, so not a young one anymore but still have so much of my life ahead of me and I want to enjoy life. I don't think of myself as in my 40's, my mind feels like my 20's but my body aches remind me that I am aging.

So, here I am now back on a bike. I have no idea what I am doing. I have so much to learn. I read post of people talking about sizes, gears, equipment, etc and I am clueless. This is where you come in. Teach me, guide me, laugh at me, laugh with me and share with me your experiences so I can soon be sharing mine.

I'm so glad that I found this forum. I haven't even met anyone yet but reading your post and experiences has encouraged me to continue with this and become part of this great family online.

I am going to send this without re-reading it for mistakes etc cause if I do re-read it, I'll end up deleting most of my post. lol

Looking forward to getting to know you