Old 11-12-16, 06:22 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Wow, i have never had an opportunity...or perhaps need...to adjust psi by 1. Amazing that such a slight change can be felt due to the tire size. Though i guess thats a 7-8% change in psi which isnt insignificant
Oh you bet but what really made me feel It was me going up in the front by 1 psi and down in the back by 1 at the same time.

Doing more testing today but I do know these plus bikes have a very extremely narrow tire/PSI performance window.
Factors to keep In mind:
Inside Diameter rim width,
Hard Tails/Full squish,
Different side walls, thinner needs more air, up to I'd guess 17 psi,
Thicker walled down to what some of the fast guys are running, about 13 I think.
Rider weight and skill, the need to, 'Ride Light' and help the bike keep the back tire down.

A bit too low of a tire pressure and you get a bounce at faster speeds on the smoother stuff. This can only be controlled/managed with very smooth pedaling and body movements on the bike. This is another reason I think a dropper is a big deal on these plus bikes.

Another Tidbit, The new Specialized stumpy plus bikes started showing up on my local trails, several, all coming from AJ's, a large LBS..
They were ridden by mostly recreational riders, not gonzo air junkies. They all seemed to like 17 psi with the full suspension, said, 'Lower was vague, numb' The wild ones, seemed to like 15 psi.
The only hard tail plus bike riders I've met are new people who still have tubes and no Idea about psi Importance.
They will soon find out I am sure.