Old 11-19-16, 08:32 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I rode a BikesDirect full squish, the proud new owner was In love with that bike, was happy with it...

We swapped, he on my Scott Spark Full Squish, me on his,,,tank...

Was the heaviest feeling bike I've ever been on, suspension was ok, the gears were awful, the thing was just too heavy,, for what he paid, mech brakes and all he got what he paid for...

He made no comment on my Spark especially after he found out how little It cost me when new, compared to his BD bike.....

Now onto that 2011 mountain bike, the Giant...
IF it was well cared for and kept up with replacing chains and cassettes as needed and rebuilding forks and shocks, IF things were adjusted properly and the head set kept in adjustment,,,,AND YOU, OP are sharp enough to determine these things,,buy It...

Should be real cheap being that old,,,,

Riding with a slightly loose head set can oval out the neck of the frame, making that frame garage wall art..
easily temporarily hidden by slightly over tightening It,,,can you tell ?

Has the used bike seen big air ? Can you tell ? Cracks painted over In the chain stay,,, hidden by new frame protectors?

Do you know and trust the owner ?

You Said, "I am sure it is out dated. However, since I am so new to MTB, I think it will be a great first MTB. What do you all think?"

I think you be better served by spending about $800 or $900 on a new hard tail with wet brakes, a rockshox or fox fork and all new parts sold and supported By your LOCAL BIKE SHOP !

Last edited by osco53; 11-29-16 at 06:33 AM.