Old 09-28-19, 11:32 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 78 Posts
This is weird. If I go into my profile and look at my recent posts, then hover over the thread, I can see the original text in the little pop up box. Yet the post itself is gone. Forum software...

ANYWAY here's the gist:

I'm looking for a couple of hardtail mtn bikes for myself and wife, to convert to upright style, for riding on gravel paths etc. No serious single track, so no suspension or anything fancy needed. Nice tubing and good components though.

I'm 5'6" and she's a bit shorter but with longer legs, so I think 17" or so is probably the right size.

Being a C&V guy naturally I'd like them to be interesting or cool in some way. Our local CL is full of basic Mongoose, Trek 800, etc bikes but surely I can do better. Wife wants a step through frame so that does make it a bit harder.

Also I'm cheap...but aren't we all?

A friend has a Bridgestone MB-3 but it's unfortunately too small, and otherwise that brand doesn't show up here much. That's in the ballpark though, kinda cool, but not super rare or 'collectible.'

I'm a Miyata fan and one of the better Elevation or -Runner model would fit the bill.

I'd also consider nice hybrids like the Miyata Triple Cross, or the Bridgestone XO--never even seen one of those. Never had that kind of bike but seems like with wide tires it'd work fine.

There are *3* Paramount PDG bikes (I think a '91 Series 70, '92 Series 40, and '93 R50) for sale locally, but the sellers can't be bothered to reply to queries. I fixed up a PDG 20 a few years ago and daughter has it now--pretty nice bike.

A few people on the Mtn bike-to-upright thread have Univega Alpinas (Uno, Sport, etc) and that would be a contender (with a Miyata frame!) but they don't seem to turn up here.

Obviously Specialized Stumpjumpers are a classic, but they seem to be priced accordingly.

What else should I be looking for?

- Dr Samuel Johnson

Last edited by Chicago Al; 09-28-19 at 05:08 PM.