View Single Post
Old 12-22-19, 04:01 PM
andychrist
Devil's Advocate

Bikes: Fuji Del Rey, Bacchetta Giro 20, RANS Stratus XP XL, RANS Stratus XP XXL, RANS Stratus LE XL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 38 Posts
The Bike-E is the most maneuverable ‘bent I know of. You can navigate traffic like a minnow on it. Big plus if your commute takes you through a lot of intersections where pedestrians cross. I test rode one many decades ago, took it from downtown NYC up to Central Park and had a blast. Unfortunately it was an early model with the low seat back, and next day I was kinda sore so did not purchase the bike.

Of course you can find more generously proportioned ‘bents for sale used, but $100 is a steal for that model even if you do have to service or replace the shock. And after cleaning and lubing V-brakes the arms can be adjusted for spring tension L & R through the little black Phillips screws on either side.

Otherwise, you might try to get your hands on something like a Bacchetta Giro 20. Very easy “mid racer” to learn, and fairly adept in traffic. Frame can handle wide tires for imperfect roads. I’ve ridden mine many thousands of miles on NYC streets and upstate highways. Plus it can accept both underseat and rear racks in case you ever want to schlep anything. And Bacchetta is still in business so you can buy any model specific replacement parts such as seat foams, backs and covers and various accessories like their One Armed Bandit for attaching a front light to the boom.

Last edited by andychrist; 12-22-19 at 04:12 PM.