Old 01-03-20, 10:49 AM
ts99

Bikes: 1977 Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
NIf you're trying to keep your bike 'period correct', sourcing a BB assembly on eBay is probably your best bet, unless you can find a coop and root around in their parts bins for a replacement part. There's nothing wrong with updating the components that are worn out if you want a bike that works and you're not worried about keeping it 'period correct'.
Thanks. I don't care about it being period correct, I just want to keep as much original as I can and spend the least money I can while still making it nice. It currently has walmart saddle from about 10 years ago, which is super comfortable, but I'm going to replace it with a modern saddle that looks close enough to the suede saddle it originally came with. I have no need to get a 1977 Brooks saddle to be period correct or something. Certainly don't care about being period correct on things you can't see. This summer l replaced the front derailleur, which broke, with a 70s one off ebay and replaced the 13-21 suntour freewheel with a 14-28 1970s suntour freewheel (I weigh twice as much as when I bought it and those hills are tough with the smallest gear being 42/21), but that's just because I knew they'd fit and they were cheap.

This bike is one of the few times in my life I got EXACTLY what I wanted. I pored over the Trek brochure for months, went to the bike shop a few days a week, and it was a semi-custom deal in those days, you could even specify frame components. So I'm kinda trying to get back to that.

I want to buy a modern bike too for riding. I'd rather do that than try to build out the old girl with new wheels and components and stuff.