Old 01-03-20, 11:17 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 205 Posts
Originally Posted by ts99
I resurrected my 1977 Trek, that I bought when I was 14, from 40 years in flooded basements. It actually looked pretty good until about 10 years ago but is now extremely rusty. I got it going and rode it this past summer and fall, including in two triathlons. Now I've stripped off almost everything and am going to paint it. A few questions:

Should I remove the bottom bracket? I think I can get it out, but it has no wiggle and feels pretty good, should I just leave it alone?

Likewise the bearing cups on the head tube. Remove them? Looks easy enough to remove if I buy or make the right tool, but will reinstalling them mess things up more than just leaving them?

Any other tips on paint? The original color is ice blue metallic. I want to match it EXACTLY if I can. A guy I met has an auto body shop and from my description thinks he can match it, but I might try it myself. I haven't found any spray can enamel paints that are close to it. I did find a quart of enamel on Amazon that looks like the right one, but I guess that would require finding a paint gun. I know nothing about painting such things. Advice?

btw, I already have the TREK and Reynolds 531 decals to put on it after painting.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I would say that IIRC, all Treks of that era used Dupont Imron paint. My guess is that you should be able to match it exactly using these color chips. Your auto paint friend should be familiar with that particular paint.
Others here, who actually worked in the Trek factory may tell me I am full of bologna!
Likes For mgopack42: