Old 01-04-20, 05:11 AM
ts99

Bikes: 1977 Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
How much of an adventure to you want the repaint of your Trek to be? I just looked into my inventory of Dupont Imron paint and while I don't have 44437 Ice Blue metallic, I do have 44436 Lt Blue metallic and 44438 Lt Continental Blue metallic. When I look at my Imron paint chip chart from the 70's, all 3 colors look almost identical. You wouldn't know the difference. I also have some Dupont Corlar epoxy primer. It is the best primer ever made for durability but not popular because it was very difficult to prepare for use. It is extremely hard to stir if it has settled for awhile and after mixing in the epoxy it had to incubate for an hour before use. And it also takes a long time to cure after painting (unless it is baked). So the awesomeness of the result did not persuade most painters (usually car painters) to use it because of the difficulty and time it took to paint with it. I also have a reserve of old formula Imron clear. A few of us old time painters bought up what was left before it was gone forever. California has banned its use and the Imron of today is a completely different formula.

So if you want to drive over sometime this winter to Niles, Michigan (just above South Bend, Indiana where Notre Dame University is located and until a few days ago the city where Mayor Pete is mayor) for a couple of days, you can do the grunt work of sandblasting and sanding and I'll do the spraying. We can check it for alignment too. They were never perfect to begin with and I'm sure it hasn't magically improved over time. And maybe add or subtract braze-ons. I'm set up with housing for frame building and painting class students. In this case I'm going to assume you don't want to be taught how to paint just do the labor. There is more work involved in wet paint then an average person might expect. That extra work is why the result will look better than powder coating. It will also look like you expect it will look like. If this offer interests you PM for details. Of course I can do the whole job myself but it will be a lot more expensive and a much longer wait time.
Wow. What an opportunity. Thanks. I'll keep this in mind and ponder on it.

Last edited by ts99; 01-04-20 at 05:37 AM.
Likes For ts99: