kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: http://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by FloridaDave
One thing I've noticed -- true MTB shoes with 2-bolt pattern have a recessed area where the cleat mounts, so when you walk you're striking the ground with the sole of the shoe more than the cleat. With SPD-SLs you're walking on your cleat, but the cleats usually have rubber tips/bottoms to walk on.

Many new road shoes that have 2 AND 3-bolt patterns do not have any kind of recessed area, so if you bolt an SPD cleat on there, it sticks out and you're walking on it just as you would an SPD-SL cleat, but you're walking on metal, not a protective rubber pad. Probably I'm just over-analyzing because I don't walk that much. I'm really focused on a stable pedaling platform, clipping in/out easily, and having good power transfer.
SH40 cleat adapters solve that problem

Originally Posted by FloridaDave
And BTW I have been looking at the Shimano PD-ES600 Ultegra pedals which are single side SPDs, not dual side, so they have the same "find the right side to clip in" problem as SPD-SLs.
I use A600's which are the earlier version of the ES600. They are weighted so they always hang exactly the same way, so it's not that tricky to find the right side.