Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
You're overthinking it.

Not really overthinking as much as seeing what all my options are so I can make the best informed choice. Little things come up that I would have not thought about if other folks didn't bring them up and my original thinking has more information to sort through now and make a better choice. Budgeting and costs are something I always need to be conscious of, so having as much information and variables that I might not think about, or solutions that I never heard about can come from others, which already has like that cool lit up keyboard. That alone actually can solve many of my problems and thinking on the matter. Besides, overthinking is better than a lack of thinking your way through things. Rather be guilty of overthinking it rather than," Didn't you think this through?"

Personally, I'd Guess you'll stop being as internet dependent once you start touring, but I don't know you and could be way off base.

I think so too in many ways, and I am OK with that if it happens. I have a good sense of navigation, can read maps, always know which way I am pointed for the most part (except in downtown Denver...you have to be a Denver-ite to get it), and am fine with extended periods of being disconnected. If I eventually become disconnected full-time, that would be fine too. I can be resourceful, acclimate in just about any U.S. environment and talk/deal with folks, have good street smarts as well as educated, and getting disconnected is not really that big of a deal if it naturally happens. My down time is spent either biking or screen time about biking for the most part anyway. I would venture to guess a lot of that screen time would drastically be cut once I actually start doing it. I don't plan on sensationalizing it, utilizing social media, or have a need to stay connected with friends and family kind of thing. It's mainly how I navigate the world now and I am 50 and was born before cell phones, so remember how we use to get in a car and just drive across the country asking directions all the way. I also know what it's like sitting in places with nothing and nothing to do, and screen time is good for that stuff. I can do anything on a cell phone screen if I have to. I am more worried about days I have down time and just want to park in front of the screen for a while. Watch a movie, watch videos, ask questions, and read more trying to reverse engineer the world some more and figure out exactly what this place really is.

If you will continue to internet a lot, get a tablet with a data plan. Make it an unlimited plan.
Yes, I would have to get an unlimited plan.

Seek out the best provider coverage map since you plan to do lots of camping.
I know this from doing other things in multiple states that Verizon has the best coverage plan nationwide, or at least they did the last time of checking 2 years ago. I use T-mobile because you can't beat $40 prepaid unlimited text/calls with 10 gig of data. If you stay conscious of wifi, you can stay under the 10 gig successfully depending on your needs and not pushing a lot of video. I would bump that $40 plan to unlimited though, which I think is about $75 without looking.

Whatever you get, delete Anything you don't need from it, make sure you don't have programs running in the background, keep it on battery save mode. And don't use google maps on your phone for directions.You'll kill your battery and your data.

I do all the time, but in power save modes, I turn privacy off to save on draining resources. Agreed though.

Use an offline GPS based app like maps.me.

Prepaid with Verizon is a good deal too if you catch it right. I have been off their network for a while, but only because the phone wouldn't catch a tower reception in my apartment at the time. Now the only reason I don't switch back is because it's $40 prepaid a month on T-mobile which is super cheap. But if I get on the road again, I would probably switch back to Verizon because of the coverage in general, especially when I head into the Rocky Mountains. T-Mobile is horrible in the mountains.