Old 11-07-19, 06:01 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The Pinarello is definitely going to have better street credibility but as noted the Bridgestone will retain it looks better than a Pinarello. The Bridegestone's eclectic Peterson component mix doesn't help (600 Ultegra with bar end shifters and Dia-Compe 300 side-pull brakes, when it could have been spec'd with matching brifters and dual pivot brakes). Still, it got SIS and aHyperglide freehub, which I'd take any day over Chorus with Syncro and a freewheel hub. This is a very hard decision without being able to see the actual bicycles and their respective condition.
As a Bridgestone owner, though of pre Peterson era and lower middle of the line (But Bridgestone even then was like that on component choices), and a Pinarello steel era admirer, I would agree with what you say to the word. Bridgestones are very well made bicycles as a rule, with very fine workmanship, sensible just work component choices, and Bridgestone paint work and finishes are leagues better than most Italian bikes of the era. What the Bridgestone lacks in street cred and snob appeal, will be paid back in overall performance and overall reliability with good maintenance. I ride a Bridgestone many miles in a year, the bike works for me, and doesn't give me problems. I'd agree about the 600 Ultegra being better shifting, and less problematic than Chorus with Synchro.