View Single Post
Old 12-09-23, 12:36 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
This whole 250W European ebike limit is a complete farce to be honest. Bosch based mid-drive ebikes are using something like 23-25A when climbing hills at 36V which is well over 800W so really its a 900W ebike but they are openly sold as 250W. You go in a showroom and the sales people will tell you only mid-drive motors can deliver 90Nm at 250W and this is because of their greater efficiency but of course its all lies and they are consuming over 3x that limit when providing their claimed torque figures. I'm not sure if its incompetence or corruption that leads to such a mismatch between the legislation and the actual products but in most certification of the world if you buy a 1500W washing machine it doesn't consume 5000W etc, same for most items that have a wattage stated. Nowadays I just link in my mind 250W with the 15.5mph assisted speed limit as it has absolutely nothing to do with the wattage of the ebike. So what seemed impressive cargo carrying ability for 250W is really probably close to 1000W of power which is still impressive just not as impressive as 250W.