Old 12-15-18, 12:05 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3594 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 121 Posts
Not liking Fight Club or The Matrix is fine-- taste is 100% subjective-- but to imply that they are somehow bad movies simply because they're not your thing is just snobbery.

Those reviews aren't by a company or a computer, they're by people. Between 1.5 and 2 million iMDb users disagree with you just about Fight Club and The Matrix. Popularity isn't a guaranteed indicator that something is bad. That said, Fight Club is a bit overrated. Like the cult-like following for The Boondock Saints.

Critics are far less reliable-- 2001: A Space Odyssey is 29th and Blade Runner #34 on Rotten Tomatoes' "Best Science Fiction Movies of All Time" list. That's just bonkers. Avatar at #66 ? Really? I guess critics really like Dances with Wolves + blue aliens. Visually stunning, but a story that doesn't hold up through more than one viewing.

I'm a person that doesn't believe that the greatest movies of all time were made back in the 40s and 50s. Fantastic movies are being made all the time. Whether you love it or hate it, The Matrix was almost iconoclastic in how sci-fi movies are made. There hadn't been anything like that before. Also weird to me how Nolan gets hated on for pretentiousness almost as much as Bay gets hated on for blowing stuff up and not knowing how women are supposed to act. Sometimes movies are just about entertainment. Nothing wrong with that at all.