I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Not liking Fight Club or The Matrix is fine-- taste is 100% subjective-- but to imply that they are somehow bad movies simply because they're not your thing is just snobbery.
Those reviews aren't by a company or a computer, they're by people. Between 1.5 and 2 million iMDb users disagree with you just about Fight Club and The Matrix. Popularity isn't a guaranteed indicator that something is bad. That said, Fight Club is a bit overrated. Like the cult-like following for The Boondock Saints.
[Skipped the critique of the public's taste in SciFi]
I'm a person that doesn't believe that the greatest movies of all time were made back in the 40s and 50s.
Not making my personal list of top 1000 movies to recommend does not imply that they are bad movies it just means I wouldn't recommend it over 1000 other movies that I think are better or more entertaining, or more interesting or all three.

The IMDb user list of top 250 is heavily weighted to more recent pictures, more than likely because the IMDb users have not seen many movies that are not relatively recently in the theaters or easily available on TV or especially streaming sites. Or as Genec has suggested they prefer special effects, comic book plots and vulgarity and car crashes as a substitute for dialog.

100 of the movies on the 250 list are from the last 20 years, 19 were listed from the 30's and 40's. The paucity on the list of Westerns, military, comedy and musicals, or movies directed by John Huston and John Ford among other great directors, or movies starring Clark Gable, Humphrey Bogart, Barbara Stanwyck, Hepburn (Katherine or Audrey) reflects more on movie preferences of the IMDb voters rather than the quality of the movies they seem to prefer.

Certainly if was recommending movies to anyone uncomfortable with B&W or dialog/plot driven movies, let alone subtitles, I would recommend movies from the past 20 years.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 12-15-18 at 02:47 PM.