Old 04-17-19, 01:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2774 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Yup, the spaghetti Westerns flipped the genre on its head and helped revive the genre to some extent by introducing elements of dark humor and cynicism. And the anti-hero protagonist was closer to the reality of the old West. Although some of those elements were present in earlier Westerns, with limited success.

I also enjoy the parodies of the spaghetti Westerns with Terence Hill -- They Call Me Trinity, and My Name Is Nobody. Those are the Western equivalents to the sci-fi Galaxy Quest/Star Trek nexus. Not really broad mockery, like Blazing Saddles, but more of a humorous homage to the originals.

Once Upon a Time in the West was a bit too self indulgent, self important. It's not as good as the director and critics made it out to be. That's generally true of any movie with titles like "Once Upon a Time..." or "The Legend of..." Usually the most memorable movies in any genre jump into the middle of a story without announcing themselves as Very Important Stories.

The best part about the spaghetti Western is that it made Clint Eastwood enough of a star to eventually make Unforgiven, arguably the best and most authentic Western.