Old 10-02-18, 08:28 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Recovery, riding

I had 3 tears in my right shoulder surgically repaired in 2011. I was warned that it is a tough, long recovery. I had known people that went through it and I did believe what I was being told. However, that still did not convince me that it would be that bad. I had 4 spinal surgeries from 1999 to 2007 and the recovery from them was not easy. The recovery from the shoulder surgery was much more painful, harder and considerably longer than the spinal surgeries. It really took me close to 2 years to get to where the shoulder was as good as it was going to get, which is pretty good. Six weeks of trying to sleep sitting up in a chair, along with the almost constant pain definitely took a toll. I am right handed and it was my right shoulder that was operated on. I am pretty coordinated with my left hand/arm but not having the use of the dominant right hand was very frustrating! The first session with a physical therapist was nothing less than excruciating. I was riding a trainer type bike at the PT office from the start but my right arm/shoulder was not involved. I have left shoulder issues but I will not have it worked on unless it gets to the point of extremely limited use and constant pain. Through all of my recoveries from surgery a bicycle has plaid a huge role. My legs were strong going into the back surgeries and that was a huge plus for me. I think the best way to recovery is to listen to the doctors and therapists and do all that you are asked to do. Having pain through the process is going to happen but not doing those things is going to cost you much more grief in the long run.

I am now 66 years old and still riding strong. I had 6000 miles on my bike last year and am somewhere around 3000 at this point for 2018. When people ask me how long, age wise, I will be able to continue my answer is that if I am in my 80s I hope to still be pedaling.