Old 11-20-20, 03:32 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
It is a self-fulfilling prophecy; bikes purchased will largely reflect bikes produced (especially this year). Over on ST the bike shop owners were gleefully hammering anyone who expressed doubt, and the mockery in general from the disc converts to those of us quite ok with rim (including you) makes me want to spit acid. You may not buy it; I won't buy the inverse.

The logic elsewhere goes:

1 discs are better, even the pros switched
2 not all
1 they'll be forced to because the manufacturers will make them
2 why? to make more money?
1 because discs are better, even the pros switched

Beautiful circular logic. Meanwhile, it chucks all my bikes into doubt as far as upgrade potential, and the mockery from the faithful continues.

I'm not really concerned with the anecdotes from your local group; the pattern absolutely means that bikes from a few years ago are probably rim, and the bikes since are probably disc. That's the switching timeframe.

And every mention of discs follows this same pattern, with the faithful quite happy to tell the doubtful to get on board and wondering why it's contentious.
I don't believe that I've ever (non-playfully) mocked someone about discs (or tubes, or radar, etc, etc), If people want what they want, go for it - it doesn't bother me none (just don't tell me why *my* choices and preferences are wrong). And yes, as a market, it's self-fulfilling - companies are making them because (I'm assuming) buyers want them (or at least don't object to them). That's my main point - if you want to dub it a "market forced change," I'll totally co-sign, but I don't see it as an "industry forced change."