View Single Post
Old 07-29-19, 02:12 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 976 Times in 799 Posts
Originally Posted by dgodave
When I bike toured France I didnt even know I'd be bike touring until day 2.... of the trip!

I was going to backpack around, then I rented a bike on day 2 and decided I want to bike tour. So I bought a cheap used "city bike" with a rack and triple crankset, and strapped my small backpack to the rack.... and cycled Albi to Cahors (winding route), Perigeaux to Bordeaux, All around Bretagne.

For future trips I will plan on bike touring tho.
neat.
there certainly is a fun part of heading off and not having an exact plan, and to meander, so I do get that part of it. On my first trip in France, I kind of knew where I would head , sort of, knew I wanted to go see the D-Day landings area, so headed up there and just looked at a map and eyeballed roads, and asked people sometimes suggestions.
So yes, I do get that aspect of going on an adventure and not having to have everything planned down to the nth detail.

I did this way before the internet, so there was only so much planning one could do anyway, but at least in France, campgrounds are abundant, and even without the internet, its easy to find campground listings in regions, so add in readily available wifi, and it certainly is easier to know if in 70kms in Townsville there is a campground or not, and even to see on google maps where grocery stores are located etc.

so its all good. Being out exploring on a bike is still that, exploring and having the freedom to do it with food and your own leg power.....