Old 09-21-23, 08:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2650 Post(s)
Liked 5,822 Times in 2,998 Posts
Currently 68, hopefully going on 69. After 15 years of single track, I stopped the technical stuff 3 years ago because my back could not handle the jarring. Mostly ran single black diamond and blue trails with wicked descents. I stayed off the stunts and jumps to reduce the chance of injury, even though I had a couple of pretty bad ‘offs’ anyway.

Even though none of my injuries required hospitalization, a very close friend crashed on a technical trail prompting a brain bleed that nearly killed him. Another did a face plant on a log losing vision in one eye and almost losing the other. Evidently trauma to one eye can cause a sympathetic reaction in the other in some cases. I know others with multiple injuries as well who aren’t dare devils, just unfortunate mishaps.

Do I miss mtb? You bet. It was thrilling, technical, skill building and exhausting. There is a definite community of mountain bikers that just doesn’t seem to be present with roadies. I miss that too regardless of age.

I know I controlled far more variables and risks when I mountain biked, but the back is now more comfortable on the road bike - with no distance limits. I accept the risk when road riding and am glad I am able to do it. Am happy as well that you can do it and enjoy yourself and enjoy it for me,

Last edited by rsbob; 09-21-23 at 08:38 PM.
Likes For rsbob: