View Single Post
Old 12-05-09, 06:47 AM
BearSquirrel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Smith

Other than 'cross applications I'm not a big cantilever fan. I think in all conditions v-brakes are superior. Cantilever's may provide more mud clearance in sticky gummy situations. But if it's really muddy rim brakes really aren't the best choice anyways. A disc is much superior in muddy conditions.
Disc brakes are superior in every condition besides dry pavement.

Cantilever and disc work by exactly the same principle. The functional difference there is more "internal leverage" on a V-Brake. The maintenance difference is that V-Brakes are just WAAAAAY easier to setup and adjust. The specification difference is that levers in stock drop bar levers are just more powerful than V-Brake style MTB levers.

There are some v brakes out there that have leverage appropriate for standard drop bar levers. They're called mini-vs and they have shorter arms. The penalty for these is it's hard to fit fenders underneath them. Cantis are better in conjunction with fenders as the arms flare out laterally.

Finally, are also MTB and drop bar levers that have have the leverage characteristic of the other. So you can use a drop bar lever with an MTB V-brake. You just need the right lever (no brifters, just levers). Either that, or you can use a Travel Adjuster which adjusts leverage/cable pull will a pully.

Why do cyclocross bikes ship stock with Cantilever brakes? I would suspect this is because cantilevers are compatible with brifters and larger tires ... period. This is what a cyclocross buyer would expect even if the bike shipped with bar end shifters.