View Single Post
Old 12-05-11, 01:30 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Exactly what I built up on my new bike (Bob Jackson, traditional english touring frame).
At the narrowest point above the wheel with the brakes pulled, there is about 75mm space. 45mm fenders would get nowhere close to the brake arms.

I imagine this is very dependent on what fork/seat stay sizes you have, neh? Not trying to disagree with cyccommute, as I greatly respect his technical knowledge - Wind Rose episode already forgotten Just saying how it is on my bike.
Originally Posted by SweetLou
I say go with whatever you like.

For me, I like cantilevers on drop bars and linear brakes on flat bars.
I think it's going to come down to if I want STI "brifters" or not. I like STI on road bikes, but have had bar-end shifters too. The bar-end shifters are easier to use with mittins and heavy gloves.

I'm putting an unusual handlebar on the bike. see: http://somafab.blogspot.com/2010/12/...-launched.html

I'll try installing the brifters I have and see if I like the fit before deciding on the brake system.

If I end-up with bar-end shifters, I'll possible go with V brakes.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 12-05-11 at 01:53 PM.