Old 05-14-19, 12:08 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
This has turned out to be a pretty good philosophical thread in a way; detailing the various entry points and modes of touring.

My first real official tour was in 1989 when I recieved $2000 after my father passed away. I was a labourer then and it allowed me to drop out for a bit. That bike was an old gas pipe 2x5 mtb with caliper brakes that wouldn't stop in the rain. I had to drag my foot down two mountain passes on that trip.

I tour alone partly by choice and partly because I find my generation so difficult to coordinate activities with - it's like herding cats. Whether it's diving or biking, someone always wants to alter plans after they are made. Sometimes it clicks but I would rather go alone than get frustrated by people who can't stick to a plan. Whimsy alone is ok but whimsy in groups leads to chaos.

I also like to push myself both to cover distance because of time constraints and for the sheer challenge of it. In my everday life I work closely with people all the time as a rehab assistant which I find rewarding but it's not a big physical challenge for me. Touring lets me decompress socially and push myself as hard as my residents push themselves so it gives me a good sense of empathy towards them too. I share my stories with them so they know when I ask for 100% I'm also willing to give it.
Likes For Happy Feet: