Old 06-08-19, 05:56 PM
riverdrifter

Bikes: 1985 Cannondale SR500, 1990 Cannondale ST600, 1993 Cannondale M700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 278 Times in 108 Posts
Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
Wow -- I was just about to sigh petulantly that it's "Sports," not "Sport," but in this case it really is a "Sport"!

That looks very much like the model in the 1986 Raleigh [Cycle Company of America] catalog. At that point, I think they were being made in Japan. The frame, with that "RALEIGH" stamp on the seatstay, doesn't look like it came out of the Nottingham factory, and the Shimano 333 hub is not as good as a Sturmey Archer, but the fenders look pretty legit. Anyway, the quality might be a little bit lower than you'd get on a classic English Raleigh, but on the whole I can't see how there'd be anything wrong with it from a functional point of view (as long as the Shimano 3-speed is working OK). The Sport(s) was one of the best city bikes ever made. Use it for all your local transportation. Have fun!
Thanks! That link to the 1986 catalog looks exactly like it. I had searched and couldn't find any "Sport" (not Sports) model. Also was confused by the rectangular rear reflector and a few other issues. I'm picking it up tomorrow and will post some pics when I get it home. I plan to take the silver rear rack off my Jamis road bike and put it on this Raleigh. I'll keep the Jamis for my fast bike, and use this one for my utility bike. Thanks everyone for all the help starting my "collection".