Thread: Kickstand?
View Single Post
Old 06-26-19, 09:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
If I am going somewhere I will want to lock up my bike and if I am doing that the kickstand wouldn't be used and if I am making a short stop and will be near my bike I generally just lean it against the rubber of the rear wheel and it acts as a natural kickstand. The time that doesn't work well is sometimes with racks and a lot of times with fenders.

The only time I would want a kickstand is maybe on a heavy bike like an e-bike or cargo bike or if they had one that integrated nicely and was designed for the bike like say the old Scott SUBs. Two bolts are way better than one and unfortunately few bikes have a two bolt stand so the one bolt can come loose and the kickstand could move around and get caught somewhere or make noise or deploy when you really don't want it to. Plus schlepping the extra weight for a little convenience once and while just doesn't jive with me.